Tanzanian authorities have ordered petrol stations to restrict fuel sales to tuk-tuk and boda boda operators to no more than two litres, ahead of planned protests on December 9. The move is aimed at curbing mobility that could enable unrest during demonstrations called by youth groups challenging President Samia Suluhu Hassan’s re-election.
“Sell them only a small amount of fuel, not more than two litres, because when you sell them a lot of fuel, you are enabling them to move from point A to point B and continue causing destruction,” Chunya District Officer Commanding District (OCD) Nestory John said in a briefing on Wednesday. He added that the directive applies to all small transport operators nationwide and that police are working with fuel traders to prevent inadvertent support for criminal acts.
Authorities warned fuel transporters against selling petrol randomly along the road, stating that anyone found doing so would face action under the law. The restrictions come amid mounting tensions over protests that opposition groups say are a response to what they claim was an illegitimate election, in which President Suluhu secured 98 per cent of the vote.
Opposition parties have alleged irregularities, intimidation, and exclusion of some candidates. The government has defended the electoral process, with President Suluhu describing it as “free and democratic” and praising security forces for maintaining order. International observers have raised concerns over transparency and fairness, while reports of violence during earlier protests have fueled public unrest.
The new fuel cap affects daily operations for tuk-tuks and boda bodas, which police claim have been used to transport demonstrators. A litre of petrol in Dar es Salaam currently costs 2,752 Tanzanian shillings, meaning the two-litre limit sells for 5,504 Tzs according to the Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA).
The planned protests coincide with Tanzania’s Independence Day, which has been cancelled for 2025. Prime Minister Mwigulu Nchemba said funds intended for celebrations will instead be used to repair infrastructure damaged during recent unrest. He urged citizens to resolve issues peacefully, warning that the consequences of further unrest could be severe.
Authorities have previously imposed a five-day internet blackout after the October 29 vote and warned against sharing images of protests. At least 240 people were charged with treason following unrest, though many have been released after President Suluhu urged leniency. Civil society groups and analysts have warned that the fuel cap will disproportionately affect boda boda and tuk-tuk operators, whose livelihoods depend on daily fuel use, but they say it is unlikely to prevent planned demonstrations.

